Verão Clássico - Classical Summer
Lisbon International Music Academy
Festival and Academy
VERÃO CLÁSSICO - Lisbon International Music Academy is a project with a performative axis and an educational axis, namely the Festival, with daily concerts, and the Instrument and Chamber Music Masterclasses.
The 5th edition of Festival and Academy VERÃO CLÁSSICO will be held from July 28th to August 6th, 2019 at Centro Cultural de Belém, in Lisbon. It will include daily concerts and Masterclasses with the participation of musicians and teachers from some of the most prestigious international institutions and soloists of the world’s best orchestras.
VERÃO CLÁSSICO Masterclasses are intended for music students, professional musicians and music teachers.
After 170 participants in the 2018 edition, in 2019 VERÃO CLÁSSICO Masterclasses will have the participation of 200 young musicians, 100 Portuguese and 100 coming from other 28 countries of the 5 continents: Germany, USA, Canada, France, Spain, United Kingdom, Netherlands, South Korea, Japan, Italy, Norway, Brazil, Belgium, Slovenia, South Africa, Luxemburg, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, Israel, Croatia, Guinea, Bolivia, China, Romania, Poland, Denmark and Australia.
For the 2019 edition, VERÃO CLÁSSICO will receive 15 world class musicians and teachers from famous Conservatories and Universities, such as Berlin, London, Paris, Cologne or Salzburg, and outstanding orchestras like the Orchestre de Paris and the Berliner Philharmoniker:
• Filipe Pinto-Ribeiro (Portugal): Piano, Artistic and Pedagogical Director
• Eldar Nebolsin (Russia): Piano, Professor at Hochschule für Musik "Hanns Eisler" Berlin
• Katya Apekisheva (Russia): Piano, Professor at Guildhall School of Music & Drama of London
• Pascal Moraguès (France): Clarinet, Professor at Conservatoire de Paris and 1st Principal Clarinet at Orchestre de Paris
• Nicholas Daniel (United Kingdom): Oboe, Professor at Hochschule für Musik of Trossingen and Guildhall School of Music & Drama of London
• Anna Samuil (Russia): Vocal, Soloist of Staatsoper Unter den Linden in Berlin and Professor at Hochschule für Musik "Hanns Eisler" of Berlin
• Mihaela Martin (Romania): Violin, Professor at Hochschule für Musik of Cologne, Kronberg Academy and Barenboim-Said Akademie of Berlin
• Corey Cerovsek (Canada): Violin, Professor at University UBC School of Music of Vancouver
• Jack Liebeck (United Kingdom): Violin, Professor at Royal Academy of Music of London
• Tatjana Masurenko (Germany/Russia): Viola, Professor at Hochschule für Musik und Theater “Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy” of Leipzig
• Veronika Hagen (Austria): Viola, Professor at Mozarteum University of Salzburg and Violist of the Hagen Quartet
• Gary Hoffman (USA): Cello, Professor at Queen Elisabeth Music Chapel of Belgium
• Adrian Brendel (United Kingdom): Cello, Professor at Guildhall School of Music Drama and Royal Academy of Music of London
• Kyril Zlotnikov (Israel): Cello, Soloist and Cellist of the Jerusalem Quartet
• Janne Saksala (Finland): Double Bass, 1st Principal Double Bass of Berliner Philharmoniker and Professor at Hochschule für Musik "Hanns Eisler" of Berlin
VERÃO CLÁSSICO teachers will tutor Masterclasses on technique and musical interpretation, which will take place simultaneously in several rooms of Centro Cultural de Belém. For practice and rehearsals, young musicians will also have available music rooms in Lisbon Metropolitan Orchestra.
All participants in the Masterclasses are candidates for VERÃO CLÁSSICO Awards, whose jury is composed by the Masterclasses teachers. These prizes, in the form of concerts included in musical seasons held in Portugal, have an important role of motivation and recognition of talent and the participation by the young musicians during VERÃO CLÁSSICO. Some of the young musicians awarded in the previous editions already had the opportunity to present themselves as soloists with Portuguese orchestras – Orquestra do Norte, Orquestra Filarmonia das Beiras and Orquestra Clássica do Sul – and in the Marvão International Music Festival.
VERÃO CLÁSSICO - Lisbon International Music Academy, thus, promotes education and public presentation of young talents, encouraging and supporting them to build their careers, and at the same time, encouraging cultural exchange among participants of different nationalities. To Portuguese students it offers, in their own country, a platform for development of their artistic level and the exceptional possibility of learning with the most prestigious international teachers, worldwide references of their instruments.
The educational axis of VERÃO CLÁSSICO is complemented by the performative axis, formed by the Chamber Music Festival which, during the ten days of the Festival, will present daily concerts with great works from the music repertoire from the 18th to 20th centuries: four MasterFest concerts, with the presence of musicians/teachers, as well as six TalentFest concerts, in which the young VERÃO CLÁSSICO musicians, already awarded nationally and/or internationally, will participate.
In 2019, VERÃO CLÁSSICO continues to present a cross-disciplinary field exploring the relations between Music and Science, in order to establish innovative symbioses and stimulate the capacities of reflection and critical thinking, aiming to the enrichment of the participants and of the audience. In this context, scientist Brian Foster - Professor of Experimental Physics of University of Oxford, Professor at the University of Hamburg and leading scientist at DESY, Fellow of the Royal Society – will present “Einstein’s Universe”, a lecture illustrated with music, with the participation of violinist Jack Liebeck.
VERÃO CLÁSSICO 2019 includes, once again, sessions of Alexander Technique by Alexander Olschewski, from Berlin, enhancing body consciousness and balance.
With the aim of decentralizing and extending the event to other regions, VERÃO CLÁSSICO returns in 2019 to Bragança and, on June 14th and 15th, presents a concert, at the Municipal Theater, and open lessons of instruments and chamber music for the region's young musicians.
VERÃO CLÁSSICO assumes itself as a unique artistic and pedagogical initiative in Portugal, a project of cultural excellence and international dimension open to all audiences.
28.07.2019 : Concert MasterFest I – Opening Fest
29.07.2019 : Lecture Science and Music – Einstein’s Universe
30.07.2019 : Concert TalentFest I
31.07.2019 : Concert MasterFest II – Romantic Fest
01.08.2019 : Concert TalentFest II
02.08.2019 : Concert TalentFest III
03.08.2019 : Concert MasterFest III – Phantasy Fest
04.08.2019 : Concert TalentFest IV
05.08.2019 : Concert TalentFest V – Prizewinners VERÃO CLÁSSICO 2019
06.08.2019 : Concert TalentFest VI – Prizewinners VERÃO CLÁSSICO 2019
06.08.2019 : Concert MasterFest IV – Closing Fest